Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sad Day


Today was a sad day for me. Nydia, an elderly member of our church with whom I became close to, passed away this weekend. Her memorial service was today. The reason I became close to Nydia is because she reminded me so much of my grandmother who pass away 2 1/2 years ago. I going to miss talking to her and sitting in her living room watching "Telemundo". We would converse back and forth about everything. She always told me to stay faithful to the Lord because he's the one who guides our lives. She was a survivor. She battled breast cancer at the ago of 50 and lost a son to complications from Lupus. Her son was in his 40's when he passed away.

She was a godly woman who loved the Lord with all her heart. I won't forgot how I forgot to pick her up to go to church one day and she never let me live it down. Also, when she would go to church with us, she said that I could run for mayor because I talked too much and she wanted to go home as soon as the service finished. She told me "might as well close the church since you're one of the last one's to leave. (boy did she remind me of my grandmother!!!) I had lost my grandmother, but God replaced her with Nydia.
When they diagnosed her illness 1 1/3 ago, I was devastated. I remember she called me from the hospital to let me know that she had been taken by emergency because she had fainted. I asked her if everything was ok. She told me know....they had found cancer in her. After I hung up, I cried and told the Lord I was just started to build a awesome relationship with her that He couldn't take yet.
I was able to help her in the beginning of her illness by stopping by her house periodically to make sure she had eaten, taken her meds, etc.... I would give her her insulin shot if no one else had. (I freaked out the first time I had to do it.....she told me to get over it and just give her the shot)
Islept over once when she was really in need of 24 hour care. I remember that day so well. Here she is so sick and she was making sure I was confortable with pillows and blankets. That night she work up at 3:30 in the morning calling my name out....I ran to the room and asked what was the matter. She told me she wanted to take a shower. I told her it was just 3:30 a.m., It was too early for a shower. (she was disoriented because of all they medication they were giving her and her body had to get use to them) She said I don't care what time it is she was going to take a shower with out my help....so I proceeded to help her into the shower. She asked me if I could make her some instant coffee and some crackers. She ate them and but ended vomiting everything a half hour later. I told her .... don't even think your going to take another shower....I said...get back to bed and go to sleep. She actually gave me a compliment telling me that I was just as feisty as she was. She went back to bed and woke up at 8:oo a.m. (a decent hour)
Through it all, she had the same feistiness and spunkiness that my grandmother had. Her name was close to my grandmas. My grandmother's name was Lydia, so it was so easy to call her Grandma Nydia. She loved David's arroz con gandules and was alway telling me to take "care" of my man because I had a good one and there were crazy ladies out there who would do anything to take another woman's husband. She had so much wisdom to give. I could listen to her for hours.

Towards the end, she was in a nursing home and was not able to go back to her beloved house. I will miss you Nydia. I love you. Rest in the arms of our Savior. Nydia was 84 years old.


No comments: